Tuesday 28 February 2012

Work Experience Day 1

Just like November, I am doing another week of Work Experience (but this time just one week lol).
This time around, I am doing my Work Experience at adidas - before you correct me, it is spelt with a lower case 'a'.
The adidas logo:


My aunt is the manager of the trade marketing team of the adidas offices in Manchester so I'll be staying with her while I am doing my Work Experience. On Saturday, 25th, I flew over to Manchester from Dublin. Little story - I almost missed my flight because I was updating my Facebook status. Awks.
I had to wake up at 7 on Monday morning and surprisingly for me, I actually managed to get out of bed.
We left the house a bit after 8 and drove to the offices. When I arrived in the gate, I saw a medium sized building with the adidas stripes on the outside so I presumed that these were the offices but I was wrong - that was the adidas suite. A bit further up the road was a huge black building with a white stripes running down the front - THIS was the building. We walked in and once you get past the reception, it opens up into a big atrium where the canteen is. Its turns out, the whole building goes in a circle around the atrium so its actually really easy to find my way around.I then introduced myself to the other members of the trade marketing team who I would be working beside for the rest of the week.
I was given my agenda for the week and boy is it good :D But I'll let you know as the week goes on *suspense*
Then I headed up to the HR (Human Resource) department and was given an induction by two employees from HR and where I had to sign a load of forms on health & safety, policies, benefits etc. I then returned to my desk and read a book all about the history of adidas.
My aunt's intern, Will, then showed me around the offices and explained the jobs/roles of each section. Then we visited the showrooms of adidas stock (they are in the adi suite that I mentioned above) . Buyers from shops come in to see these showrooms and view the stock before deciding whether or not to purchase it and sell it in their shops. There are also boardrooms where meetings are held in the adi suite. We also visited the Reebok showrooms which are right beside the adidas building as adidas owns Reebok. In the warehouse where the Reebok showrooms are, there is also a huge gym where the staff of adidas take part in 'Crossfit' which is like a test of fitness.
Then it was time for lunch. I went back to the adidas building and had lunch with my aunt (chicken tika and naan bread NOM) in the canteen. Employees are given a lunch allowance of £1.50 which covers an entire meal so my lunch was free. But if I decided to buy something extra like a cup of tea or a bar of chocolate, I would have to pay for it myself.
I returned to my desk and continued reading the book about the story of adidas. Then I had to look at all the online suppliers of adidas and write down my opinion of each of them. For example - was the site easy to navigate? Is there obvious adidas branding?Etc. I left the offices a bit after 5pm.

I really enjoyed today. I learnt a lot about the jobs done by the trade marketing team and as I am looking at marketing for the future I found it very interesting and eye opening :)
Everyone was really friendly and I am looking forward to the rest of the week.

The offices:
                                                                                                                              ( Source 1 Source 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment