Tuesday 28 February 2012

I feel so charitable

Friday, 24th February, 2012: All of TY spent the day in Dublin City (it will hereafter be called simply 'Town' lol) We were going in to sell lollipops for the Oesophageal Cancer Fund. The reason that Lollipop Day is related to oesophageal cancer is because one of the first signs of that particular cancer is that you can't swallow properly. 
We hopped on a bus and well...you know my love of the banter which occurs on buses ♥. Before we got on the bus, all of us were given t-shirts and caps which had 'Lollipop Day' on them. Firstly, the t-shirts were HUGE (size extra large) and secondly, hats do not suit me... but it was for a good cause so I put my vanity behind me.
When we arrived in town, we went to Powerscourt Shopping Centre and were given the buckets that we would be collecting money in as well as the badges and more importantly, the lollipops that we would give to the people who donated. And off we went!
I was in a group with Laura, Aoife and Eimear and our area to collect money in was Fitzwilliam Street which is MILES away! Surprisingly we actually got quite a lot of money. Some people even put fivers in! It was up to me to do all the asking (grrr Laura -_-) and I have never got rejected so many times in one day </3 *forever alone*
Then about an hour and a half in, Mrs L rang me and asked did we want to go and collect money around Grafton Street (one of 2 major shopping streets) so obviously I jumped at the offer!
So back we headed to Grafton Street.
Me, Laura and a couple of other girls from TY had our lunch in McDonalds (surprise, surprise) then continued collecting.
By the end of the day, we had gotten LOADS of money :) And apart from a strange encounter with a group of sleazy Belgians (never thought I'd say that...) it all went well. I like to thank in particular, the generous men who work at the Viking Splash Tour and the Dublin City Bus Tour! Cheers lads ;)

Being charitable was fun! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment