Monday 27 February 2012

Down to Business

Wednesday 22nd February, 2012: (yes I have once again falling behind in writing my blog posts) we spent the entire day taking part in a competition for our TY Mini Companies. Unlike previous years, only 1 or 2 Mini Companies from our school would be involved in the competition - so we had a preliminary competition in our school. We had to present our Mini Company to Orla and another woman, Phyllis, from the Kildare Enterprise Board to be in with a chance of getting through.
My Mini Company, Mod-Pod, is a plastic cover for an Apple iPod touch that has an indentation around the edges so you can wrap your headphones around your iPod and secure them in place, as well as preventing them from getting tangled. It also features a clear slot at the back of the cover which allows you to place a personal photo or template into. (That has been rehearsed so so SO many times, I can recite it off the top of my head!)
We have failed to get a manufacturer seeing as our idea is so complex and unique. The cheapest we have got it for was 1,187 euro so obviously no way josé were we ordering from that company. This put us at a disadvantage seeing as we were only presenting an idea, rather than an actual product. Also, my Mini Company was unbelievably disorganised (lol). We had a last minute meeting on Tuesday to sort out our poster for the competition and at this meeting, I found out that we needed a banner with our company name/logo on it for tomorrow as well!! ...awks...
The morning of the actual competition was possibly THE most productive morning in my life. Me and Emma got the banner painted and if I do say so myself, it looked pretty good :D Then we stuck the poster on the display stand, stuck the banner on the wall above the stand, put a white sheet over a table in front of the stand, found a red cloth somehow and ran that along the centre of the table (our Mini Company colours were red, white and black), place random iPods and covers and tangled headphones around the table, got a prototype of our product made (we owe you big time Mr W) and learnt off our presentation! I can't actually believe we got aaaall that done in one morning :O *Slow clap* I was really proud of our display stand.
Then we presented the idea and it surprisingly went really well. Both the judges were super positive about our idea, the only fault was the fact that we couldn't get a supplier. They even said we should get the idea patented but oh well! I was really happy with my Mini Company's work so well done guys :)

In the end, we didn't get through but I honestly do not mind in the slightest (and I'm not just saying that). Mini Company was fun and a great experience and all, but it wasn't worth all the stressing so in a way I'm both happy AND sad that it has finally ended.
But well done to Illuminate for getting into the competition! I knew you would! So, Good Luck next week ;)

I can now officially say: Farewell Mod-Pod xoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment