Saturday 26 November 2011

Work Experience the Final Day :(

I'm about to cry. Work Experience is well and truly over :'( The week been so amazing and unforgettable and I got to meet so many new people (I don't care that this is turning into a soppy sob story! I have feelings, ok?)

On our last day we headed into Dublin City to Garda Headquarters, Harcourt Sq. First thing we did was see where all the emergency calls are taken and how the system works. Then we were shown into a dark room that had a zillion TVs that had surveillance on them. It was so freaking cool! ^_^. The can access so much (like where callers are from and camera footage) by just typing in a few things.
Down the stairs to Community Relations/Community Policing (sure, whatever floats your boat). This is basically the contact that members of an Garda Síochána have with the public. For example; neighbourhood watch, juvenile liaison officers, road safety awareness etc. A group of Gardaí broke a world record and raised over 30, 000 euro by wake boarding over to Fishguard, UK from Ireland. For the craic, after the presentation we watched a video they had made during their training and it was hilarious. (Only the Gardaí would attempt to play hurling whilst wake boarding).
Then the BEST part... Criminal Assets Bureau (C.A.B). This is the unit that seizes criminal's possessions. There was a presentation showing some of the goods they had seized and you would not believe how much money that some criminals were making. The they put 8 watches out on the table and we had to guess it they were real or fake. I got 6 right which was better than most people !! I was the only person who said that the gold, diamond encrusted Rolex was real and of course I was right. By the way, it was worth 80, 000 euro. Now that is the most valuable thing I've ever held in my hands.

At the end we were presented with certificates for completing the placement at Blanchardstown Garda Station and we got some Garda pens and CAB pencils it was pretty gooooood. :)
Again, I want to thank absolutely everyone at the station for giving me an unforgettable week and I will be forever grateful for what I have learned from my Work Experience. :)

And I have some new friends too. Gosh, I'm so like totes popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment