Saturday 26 November 2011

Work Experience Day 4

The forth day of my Work Experience was definitely one of the best! :)
Started today off with a trip to the Garda Air Support Unit in Baldonnel (a.k.a. middle of the countryside). It was so unbelievable windy I was almost blown away. Had a quick presentation about the GASU and saw some footage that the cameras on the helicopters captured. My personal opinion: the GASU uniform have swag. I'm not even kidding. They wear like a navy jumpsuit with the word Garda on it and a leather jacket. A leather jacket!! I would work in that unit just so I could look that fly. (Do you get it? Fly...Helicopters...Positive adjective...Air Support Unit....Garda humour, I apologise). But, thats just what I think seeing as it IS maa blog.
Then, off we went to the Garda Depot in the Phoenix Park, Dublin. The Depot is where the Commissioner works, where evidence is kept, where the forensic labs are etc etc. In there, first we went to the forensic unit and had to use this really fancy microscope to see if two bullets had come from the same gun. Next, down to the basement we went which is where all the firearms are kept. OH YEAH. We were shown different types of guns like revolvers, pistols and AK47's. booyakasha. Aaaaand we got to hold them. I felt like such a boss. But, let me tell you, guns weigh an absolute ton!! Finally, we were given a presentation on the Garda Reserve which is a unit in which members of the public can become volunteer Gardaí. Obviously, you get training but their only jobs would be walking the beat and working at big events like sports matches. I'm actually seriously interested in definitely joining the Garda Reserve in the future. DEFO.

And now, there is only one day remaining :'(

No comments:

Post a Comment